Tuesday 14 May 2013

Fun Run?

One of my goals for this year was to exercise more. To be honest, I've not been doing much toward meeting this goal. Just the mere thought of exercise usually leaves me tired and reaching for the chocolate. I've been making all the work I had to do for uni an excuse, but with classes officially over, I decided to buck myself up and get my bum up off the couch.

Raring to go
Many of my friends run and you know what they say: if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. I figured it would be a good way of getting in shape, plus it's free, so today I boldly ventured out on my first run jog.
In my head I had ambitiously planned out my route - up my road, along the dog-walking path, then round two blocks before coming back. It would be easy, I thought.

I was wrong.

I live on a hill (okay, a slope, but you try running up it of a morning) so by the time I got to the top  of the road I was already out of breath. Determined not to give in, I powered on, managing to do half the original circuit I'd planned. Technically I ran about two blocks, which was an achievement in my eyes. By the time I got home my legs were seriously hurting and I was on the verge of having an asthma attack, but I did feel vindicated.

I'm not quite sure a 10 minute run jog burns off any calories, but considering I haven't ran anywhere (save for buses) since school, I was quite proud of myself. I plan to make Tuesday my weekly run day, and hopefully increase the distance each time. I doubt I'll ever make a marathon runner, but hopefully I can get in shape. Now, where did I put that chocolate bar?

No comments:

Post a Comment