Friday 31 May 2013

Book Review: The Night Circus



I'm going to be honest: I probably would never have read The Night Circus if people at university hadn't talked about it so much. I'd looked at it a few times in Waterstones, but the blurb on the back didn't convince me this was the kind of book I'd want to read. In fact, I was convinced it would be some high-brow tale about circus life. However, several of my classmates said they had really enjoyed it and ever a sucker for a beautiful book cover, I decided to give it a go.

Best. Decision. Ever.

The Night Circus is mesmerising. I honestly didn't know what to expect, but I certainly wasn't prepared to be swept up in the book quite as much as I was. Erin Morgenstern is a wonderful writer. Her words take you to the world she has created. The way she describes the sights and sounds of the circus make you feel as if you are actually there. It was evocative and awe-inspiring. This is not just any old circus; this is a magical circus.


Magical is the perfect word to describe the book. I defy you not to 'ooh' and 'aah' (in your head at least) at some of the wonders to be found in Morgenstern's circus. It's like no circus you've ever been to, but one you wish was real. It is aptly called Le Cirque des Rêves.

I was particularly enchanted by the circus clock, made by Herr Thiessen, who later starts the tradition of the rêveurs, circus fans who identify themselves by wearing red scarves.


"The body of the clock, which has been methodically turning itself inside and out and expanding, is now entirely subtle shades of white and grey. And it is not just pieces, it is figures and objects, perfectly carved flowers and planets and tiny books with actual paper pages that turn. There is a silver dragon that curls around part of the now visible clockwork, a tiny princess in a carved tower who paces in distress, awaiting an absent prince. Teapots that pour into teacups and miniscule curls of steam that rise from them as the seconds tick. Wrapped presents open. Small cats chase small dogs. An entire game of chess is played."


As well as the wonder of the circus, I was equally enthralled with the characters. The plot centres around Celia, a magician's daughter, and the challenge she is bound into as a six year old with Marco, an orphan chosen by the mysterious (and somewhat sinister) Mr A. H-. The circus is the venue for their challenge, which is essentially a test of their magic and strength. The beauty of the story is that the reader is as ignorant of the rules of the challenge as Celia and Marco are. Neither of them knows how a victor will be decided. It makes the reader feel like they are taking this journey with them, discovering the rules as they do.

I'm a huge sucker for romance, and the love story that unfolds in The Night Circus was beautiful. I got totally swept up in it, and some passages actually left me breathless. It was touching and tinged with heartache, and the end is bittersweet.


“It is the way she has felt in so many of his tents, the thrill of being surrounded by something wondrous and fantastical, only magnified and focused directly on her. The feel of his skin against hers reverberates across her entire body, though his fingers remain entwined with hers. She looks up at him, caught in the haunting greenish-grey of his eyes again, and she does not turn away.”


As well as Celia and Marco there are other memorable characters, such as the twins Widget and Poppet. All the characters serve as catalysts in one way or another for the action, but I don't think you end up caring quite as much for them as you do for Marco and Celia. That said, there are a couple of tragic deaths, one of which did leave me with a lump in my throat.

The Night Circus is like a haunting dream; even after reading it it stays with you. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would definitely read it again in the future. It is part fantasy, part romance, but at the same time it is so much more than that. I feel it is one of those books that defines categorisation. One thing it most certainly is, however, is a must read. Don't be put off by the sketchy blurb or its 'literary' tag. I think this is a book that all readers can enjoy. I loved it. You can count me as an honorary rêveur!

No comments:

Post a Comment