Thursday 4 April 2013

La Barantine

Sometimes in the midst of all that studying, you just need a break. After a morning of going over proofs for our book project yesterday, we decided that we deserved a treat, so we took ourselves off to a little French cafe on Bruntsfield Road, La Barantine.


I didn't know what to expect. I'm not all that familiar with French food, apart from pain au chocolat and croissants. The stereotype of frogs legs and onion soup always comes to mind, and though I enjoy Cafe Rouge, I always feel there is too much beef and ham, two things I don't eat. Our Production Manager, Laura, assured us that La Barantine was a great place, however, and after our little trip I can testify that she was right.

It's a small cafe, which contributes to the warm, friendly atmosphere. We were lucky enough to go on a sunny day, so it did almost feel as if you were in a cafe in an actual small French town. The staff were very welcoming and one glance at the counter with all its sweet treats and I knew we'd come to a place I was going to like.

Their menu has all the delicacies one could desire - the aforementioned croissants and pain au chocolate, soup, sandwiches and a wonderful selection of cakes. All of them looked utterly delicious, but one of the staples of La Barantine are their macaroons and there were several different kinds to choose from. I noticed quite a few people coming in and getting a whole bunch of them to take away with them (something to remember next time I'm at uni and craving a sweet treat).

Which to Choose?
The cafe also does lunch deals, and we all opted for the sandwich + drink + macaroon deal. I ordered a cheese, tomato, pepper and lettuce sandwich, the memory of which is making me crave another! It was really good and there was a generous amount of tomatoes and peppers, which made me feel like I was being quite healthy for once! My latte was also amazing. It came in a big cup, even though it was a regular, and the blend of coffee and milk was perfect. The frothy heart on the top was amazing, too, and I am in awe of our waitress for making it so beautifully.

I Love This Latte
Me and My Macaroon

Afterwards I had one of the raspberry macaroons (I have never found it more difficult to choose in my life - coconut and chocolate were also contenders). Sweet, but not too big, it was the perfect way to finish lunch. I was full up for the rest of the day, too, so much so that I didn't even feel hungry when I got home five hours later (and that was after walking up and down Princes's Sreet!).






I would definitely visit La Barantine again. The atmosphere is homely and the food is excellent value for money. If you are looking for a nice, relaxing cafe then this could be the place for you. It's worth a visit, even if you just buy a handful of macaroons. Do I want coconut or chocolate this time...?

No comments:

Post a Comment