Tuesday 19 February 2013

'Jellicles Come to the Jellicle Ball'

Last Friday I went to the Edinburgh Playhouse to see Cats. It bought the tickets as a Christmas gift for my mum because she loves the musical to pieces. I can't even remember when I first became obsessed with Cats. I was probably about 9 or 10 and the DVD of the specially recorded performance had just come out. Mum bought it and we watched it over and over. I quickly got my hands on a copy of the original soundtrack and soon I knew the words to every song. My friends and I even used to stage 'productions' of it in my bedroom. I saw it in the theatre for the first time about ten years ago and this is the second live production I have been to see.

Maybe it is the immediacy of the memory or maybe it was because we were in the second row and had the most amazing view ever, but this is my favourite production so far. It was spellbinding and the cast were terrific. I can't praise them enough.

The most amazing set ever






Look at that stage! We spent ages picking out pieces of the rubbish. My favourite was the huge tin of Felix. The opening with the flashing cats eyes took my breath away. It is one thing to see it on a DVD, but to experience if for real is thrilling.

And then the cats came out. I simply love the fact they interact with the audience so much. It makes it all the more fun. As I said before, the entire cast was wonderful, but I have to mention my personal favourites. First of all, Oliver Savile as Rum Tum Tugger blew me away. The Tugger is one of my favourite cats, and Savile had all the panache, sex appeal and haughtiness that the role demands. He got him down to an absolute T. When he swooped into the audience to ask one of the ladies to dance we were all cheering and his air guitar with his tail at the curtain call was hilarious. Melissa James was an amazing Bombalurina. Her facial expressions were spot-on especially during the Macavity number. From now on she will be the standard by which I measure all other Bombalurinas. On the night one of the understudies was playing the role of Mistofelees. I think it was Joel Morris, but I could be wrong. At any rate, this was the best performance of Mistofelees I've seen. His expressions of wonder and pride when he brought Old Deuteronomy back from Macavity's clutches were perfect. That particular number was a stand-out. The whole audience were singing and clapping along and the pyrotechnics were amazing.

The role of Grizabella is, of course, the most important and while I don't think anyone will ever be able to banish Elaine Paige from my mind, Joanna Ampil in this production was spectacular. She put her heart and soul into the performance and her rendition of Memory was breathtaking. I could feel every emotion while she was singing.

But, the show for me was well and truly stolen by Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer. I am probably ridiculously biased here. They have always been my favourite Cats right from the very first time I watched the DVD. In fact, when I was a kid I wanted to be Rumpleteazer. I'd still say that if I was an actress that would be my dream role (closely followed by Christine in Phantom). I adore the DVD interpretation of them, but the actors playing them in this production stole my heart. I have to confess to being totally distracted by their every antic in the background during Gus the Theatre Cat and Mistofeeles. They played them with such humour and affection. Their little hugs and kisses on the cheeks were adorable and I must confess to doing an inward 'aww' when, during Gus the Theatre cat, Mungojerrie put his hand on Rumpleteazer's heart when Gus sings 'I'd a voice that would soften the hardest of hearts.' They were perfect and future Mungojerries and Rumpleteazer's will have a lot to live up to!

It was a brilliant night and I urge you all if you haven't seen it yet to get yourselves down to the Playhouse. The cast make this one production you don't want to miss! I fancy going back to see them myself.

Annette xx

No comments:

Post a Comment